It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re:[760]ParVo
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:05 am 
Staff Member

DeftOne, I'll try to answer thoses questions for you.

- In general, how has it performed for you?
Flawlessly. I love the fact that all my computers in the house are always backed-up so if a hard drive should fail on one of them, all I have to do is replace the drive, copy the WHS backup to it, and I'm back in business.

- How are you streaming the content to your non-HP MediaSmart TV? Is there a HP MediaSmart Connect box in the mix?
I have HTPC's running Vista and one XBox 360 connected to my TV's. The HP MediaSmart Server can stream to any Vista box or v2 extenders in the network.

- Have you been affected by the WHS data corruption bug?
No, and the vast majority of users never had a problem with it either. I am now using the WHS Power Pack 1 Beta which addresses that bug. The final version should be out any day now.

- Would you recommend buying it? If not, any other server or NAS products out there you'd recommend in its place?
You can easily build your own WHS using just about any old computer, which is what I started out to do until CompUSA had them for 40% off during their going-out-of-business sale. The HP units themselves are really sexy and easy to use. I have upgraded my HP EX470 with more memory and a faster processor, and added a couple of TB's of storage space.

Two of my favorite WHS sites:

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/

http://www.homeserverhacks.com/

I have an unused OEM copy of WHS if you decide to build your own. I can sell it for a good price if you are interested.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:55 am 
Staff Member

Thanks for the responses. Now, a couple more questions:

- Since you have HTPC's in the mix, are you also using Windows Media Center? If so, what is the GUI that you interface with on-screen on your TV? WMC or WHS? From the stuff I've seen, I'm not overly impressed by the WHS TV GUI.
- Are you able to get recorded shows/movies off your DirecTV HD-DVR onto your HTPC or HP MediaSmart Server for more permanent storage? Or do you have to record with your HTPC for this? Or is it not even possible?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:45 pm 
Staff Member

- Since you have HTPC's in the mix, are you also using Windows Media Center? If so, what is the GUI that you interface with on-screen on your TV? WMC or WHS?
I use both Vista Media Center and Windows Media Player depending on whether I want to watch something or just listen to music. I can also use my Windows Mobile 6 smart phone as a Side Show remote and play music without even turning on the TV or using a monitor.

-From the stuff I've seen, I'm not overly impressed by the WHS TV GUI.
I've not even tried that. I store all my media on the WHS and store recorded TV on the local machines, which are of course all shared with each other.

- Are you able to get recorded shows/movies off your DirecTV HD-DVR onto your HTPC or HP MediaSmart Server for more permanent storage?
Not yet...but a DirecTV HD Tuner for Vista that would allow recording to a HTPC is rumored to be released soon, possibly with the Windows Fiji release some time this year.

-Or do you have to record with your HTPC for this? Or is it not even possible?
I can receive and record unencryped HD QAM channels from my cable internet connection directly to the HTPC's using my HDHomerun Networked Digital Tuner. I only get 6 channels this way: all the local network HD feeds, an HD PBS station, plus The Weather Channel. If you had premium digital cable, you would probably get many more channels than that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:04 pm 
Staff Member

I am now using the WHS Power Pack 1 Beta which addresses that bug. The final version should be out any day now.

FYI - Looks like the final release of PP1 is now available.

http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/arc ... et-it.aspx

Post subject: Re: [760]ParVo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:08 pm 
Staff Member

Updated computer specs and photos. Please enjoy responsibly!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:02 am 

I am NanoStorm my job to surprise attack.

That is a lovely bio you have there parvo and very tidy bio to.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:03 am 

You hear that parvo slater thinks your lovely, and very tidy. Hes even gonna surprise attack you, with his other personality nanostorm. Be safe you two. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:31 pm 
Staff Member

MonkeyButt wrote:
Nice setup Parvo. I am currently running a windows media center configuration using Vista (and now Windows 7).

I enhanced the WMC with myMovies (http://www.mymovies.dk/) which allows me to index my DVDs by actor, type etc.

The nice thing about myMovies (and it is free) is that I can build the library outside of WMC.

I use anyDVD to bypass the encription tool and dvdDecrypter to rip the DVD onto my HDD.

BTW: If you didn't know; VOB files are just MPG files. Most DVD rippers resample the movie which takes WAY too long. Using dvdDecrypter you can combine the VOBs into one large file (A VOB is 100MB in size). Once you have the VOB on the hdd, rename the extension to mpg. Then in myMovies link the movie title to the file on the hdd. There is no video/audio loss.

You can do the same without dvdDecrypter by just copying the files then do a simple binary merge.

The total rip time for this method (2hr movie) is about 15 minutes vs the resampling time.

My goal is to put my whole DVD collection online (in my house). I am well on my way filling up a 500GB, and expect to be about 3TB when done. But TB is very cheap now anyway.

I haven't played with WHS yet, but I'm planning to build a rack mount with a large file server, and put it into my basement. Maybe I'll check out WHS later.

Oh, BTW; I am using my XBox 360 as the video extender (along with it tied into Netflix) - very cool.

Hope some of this makes sense.

Thanks farrowz. I updated my computer but with the size restrictions now imposed on photos, I can't update my profile without resizing all my existing photos. :x Not at the top of my to-do list yet...

I have tried MyMovies in the past, and most recently I had the WHS version installed for a while. I found it took up loads of resources and slowed my WHS down significantly for some reason, so I uninstalled it. (It's an Intel Q6600-based system with 4 gb ram.)

Currently, all my DVD rips are on the WHS and I use the Vista Media Center library for DVD playback from the folders. I also have many of my Blu-ray and HD DVD's in ISO format that I can play back using Arcsoft's TotalMedia Theater from within the Media Center interface. My WHS has about 3.2 TB of storage, with over 2 TB devoted to movies and music.

I have ripped all my DVDs using mainly anyDVD in the folder format you describe, which also preserves the menus and the ability to Chapter Skip, FF and REW. To make them compatable to playback on the Xbox 360, I also made an additional copy in a format the Xbox can read (I forgot which format it is atm...) I'll have to check out that binary merge method you talk about: it sounds like a much better way to do it.

The majority of my downloaded music is in loss-less FLAC format; the rest are rips from the original CDs. I don't do mp3 unless I'm putting them on my phone for traveling etc.

I love my WHS! I have it in a ventilated closet along with my router, cable modem, a nice Dell 8-port switch, 2 HDHomerun's, battery backup, etc. Everything (server, 4 computers, XBox 360, PS3) is connected via CAT6 cabling, and the laptop is on wireless. All the computers in the house are backed up nightly.

My Netflix account is on hold atm, but I did use the Instant Movies feature quite a bit.

I have 4-copies of Windows 7 (3-Home Premuim and 1-Pro) already pre-ordered from TigerDirect. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:38 pm 

ParVo wrote:
MonkeyButt wrote:
Nice setup Parvo. I am currently running a windows media center configuration using Vista (and now Windows 7).

I enhanced the WMC with myMovies (http://www.mymovies.dk/) which allows me to index my DVDs by actor, type etc.

The nice thing about myMovies (and it is free) is that I can build the library outside of WMC.

I use anyDVD to bypass the encription tool and dvdDecrypter to rip the DVD onto my HDD.

BTW: If you didn't know; VOB files are just MPG files. Most DVD rippers resample the movie which takes WAY too long. Using dvdDecrypter you can combine the VOBs into one large file (A VOB is 100MB in size). Once you have the VOB on the hdd, rename the extension to mpg. Then in myMovies link the movie title to the file on the hdd. There is no video/audio loss.

You can do the same without dvdDecrypter by just copying the files then do a simple binary merge.

The total rip time for this method (2hr movie) is about 15 minutes vs the resampling time.

My goal is to put my whole DVD collection online (in my house). I am well on my way filling up a 500GB, and expect to be about 3TB when done. But TB is very cheap now anyway.

I haven't played with WHS yet, but I'm planning to build a rack mount with a large file server, and put it into my basement. Maybe I'll check out WHS later.

Oh, BTW; I am using my XBox 360 as the video extender (along with it tied into Netflix) - very cool.

Thanks farrowz. I updated my computer but with the size restrictions now imposed on photos, I can't update my profile without resizing all my existing photos. :x Not at the top of my to-do list yet...

I have tried MyMovies in the past, and most recently I had the WHS version installed for a while. I found it took up loads of resources and slowed my WHS down significantly for some reason, so I uninstalled it. (It's an Intel Q6600-based system with 4 gb ram.)

Currently, all my DVD rips are on the WHS and I use the Vista Media Center library for DVD playback from the folders. I also have many of my Blu-ray and HD DVD's in ISO format that I can play back using Arcsoft's TotalMedia Theater from within the Media Center interface. My WHS has about 3.2 TB of storage, with over 2 TB devoted to movies and music.

I have ripped all my DVDs using mainly anyDVD in the folder format you describe, which also preserves the menus and the ability to Chapter Skip, FF and REW. To make them compatable to playback on the Xbox 360, I also made an additional copy in a format the Xbox can read (I forgot which format it is atm...) I'll have to check out that binary merge method you talk about: it sounds like a much better way to do it.

The majority of my downloaded music is in loss-less FLAC format; the rest are rips from the original CDs. I don't do mp3 unless I'm putting them on my phone for traveling etc.

I love my WHS! I have it in a ventilated closet along with my router, cable modem, a nice Dell 8-port switch, 2 HDHomerun's, battery backup, etc. Everything (server, 4 computers, XBox 360, PS3) is connected via CAT6 cabling, and the laptop is on wireless. All the computers in the house are backed up nightly.

My Netflix account is on hold atm, but I did use the Instant Movies feature quite a bit.

I have 4-copies of Windows 7 (3-Home Premuim and 1-Pro) already pre-ordered from TigerDirect. :)

lol, a prime example of TLTR:p

I LOVE DOING IT WRONG, BABY!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:30 pm 
Staff Member

JMRULEZZZ wrote:
ParVo wrote:
MonkeyButt wrote:

lol, a prime example of TLTR:p

Oh, sorry. I didn't know you knew how to read.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:23 am 
Staff Member

Monkey, did you ever buy that Acer box? Just wondering what you thought of it. I'm looking (again) at buying a NAS/WHS box, and would appreciate any suggestions you guys might have on the HP MediaSmart line vs. the Acer boxes vs. anything else out there that might be better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:07 pm 
Clan Leader & Founder

I love how you have that Arrogant Bastard Ale sitting by your computer in that one photo. It truly does enhance online domination of the nubzes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:13 pm 
Staff Member

Arrogant Bastard is my middle name, duh!

D1 and MB, the HP WHS boxes are kick-ass little units. I just sold mine on eBay a few months ago and built the one I run the wgc#2 server myself using an older gaming rig I had.

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3