It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Arclite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:57 pm 
Clan Member

I'm Arclite, my real name is Brian. I live near Los Angeles in Ontario, California. I am a damage prevention engineer, and I love my job. I'm self employed, and my clients are railroads, steamship lines, trucking companies, and insurance companies for the most part. I design loading plans for cargo, troubleshoot recurring damage, teach shippers how to properly block/brace loads, but the majority of the jobs i do i document cargo losses and determine the cause, then i work to mitigate the loss by recouping (salvaging) as much as possible. I also work truck wrecks for insurance companies, those jobs im on call 24 hrs to respond on scene. Usually the hardest part of those jobs is trying to prevent the fire dept, or the highway dept from doing anything stupid or from destroying good cargo. (for example, I did one job involving a tanker filled with rocket fuel, and when i arrived on scene the firemen were hooking up a gas powered pump to transload it. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that its not a good idea to pump highly volatile fuel with an internal combustion engine.)

I have been playing video games all my life, when i was a kid that sometimes meant riding my bike a few miles to 7-11 where they had a defender game. Here's some screenshots from some of my favorite arcade games, if you know what games they are then you are OLD...lol
ImageImageImageImage

I started playing FPS games online with the first soldier of fortune game, and i played UT but i never really got into it, at the time I was working alot and gaming only a few hours a week. When original crysis came out I was playing on system with a 9600GT and an AMD athlon 4000, and i was lucky to pull 35fps, but I was hooked. We all know that crystats is majorly flawed, but my claim to fame is I was the first player to max out the time played, and if you add my scores as arclite and -=DVC=-Arclite together I would be #8 on the leaderboard. I was a member of DVC until it was dissolved, and I was the leader of {MoD} after that, but starting a clan proved to be alot more work than i was able to devote, and when my system was stolen in November, 2009 {MoD} became a thing of the past.

My new system is about two months old, ASUS P6X58D mobo, i7 920 @4.0, corsair H50 in push/pull configuration, 6ghz DDR3-2000, 2-5850's in crossfire, velociraptor 300gb system drive and 750gb storage drive, in an Antec 1200 with a few extra fans.

I always have a lot of fun gaming with everyone in 760 and I look forward to alot more. I'm too lazy to resize a photo atm, here is a link to my myspace page. I'll post a pic in the next day or two.
http://www.myspace.com/arclite_

Post subject: Re: Arclite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:46 pm 

Pictures of your PC man! Those specs of your rig are pretty damn amazing.

And you look nothing like what all your xfire IMings portray you to be. And your job seems like it has a bit of an adrenaline rush to it. :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:29 pm 
Clan Member

and heres one of my dog, ernie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:33 pm 

I hate you. Your case has so much room to spare yet mine is crammed full with only half the stuff you have. :(

Anyway, your PC is simply ep|c!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:49 pm 
Clan Member

lol, thank you. I actually wish i had gotten a different case, im not sure which though i like the silverstone cases alot. But yeah there's alot more room in a full tower than a mid tower, i had an antec 900 with my last build, and with 2 video cards and 5 hdd's i had very little room to spare.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/pro ... 1&area=usa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:48 pm 
Staff Member

Thanks for posting your bio, Brian. It's always nice to put a face to the name. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:33 am 
Clan Member

Niice (and long :) ) bio and great specs! I'm not a fan if SLI or Crossfire configurations although I've never had one, could you tell me how well it works? Oh and could you please send me your case :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:03 am 

Nice bio Arc, i have the same case so does 28 i recommend an SSD in the future :) there insanely Fast. The h50 is a good system i recommend checking for leaks every so often though caus mine crapped out on me and i had to replace the cooler.

@ Janat SLI gives you a good boost in fps i'm not sure on 3 way SLI ask Laz0r about that.

@ Talon get a new case lol.
( Antec 1200 is a good case )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:35 am 
Clan Member

@ janat: I have had both SLI and Crossfire, my last system i ran 2 9800GTX in SLI, I have heard of people having various problems but i have never had any trouble. The second card adds about 2/3 more fps, give or take. I was concerned that heat would be a problem with my current build, the cards are so close together that it inhibits airflow. The top card runs about 10 degrees hotter than the bottom one but it hasnt been a problem so far, i have a fan installed in the side window blowing directly on them. Another issue is the cards cover all of the pci slots, the is a pci-e slot that my sound card is in (not in the pictures though) and there is a third pci-e X16 slot that is accessible but if i were to add a third video card it would mean the 2nd and 3rd slots were at 8x rather than 16x.

@ Phil: I wanted an ssd when i put this system together but i couldnt afford it, the velociraptor's performance is disappointing, it is only slightly faster than my 750gb caviar black storage drive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:03 am 

Yeah my next upgrade is going to be a very big one. Intel i7 Processor, Antec 1200, DDR3 Motherboard, and 6-8 GB of RAM. Maybe, maybe a GT400 card if i can afford it. And of course Windows 7.

But this will be a long way off, unless i get a job. Which im currently looking for. I think SLI is a good idea, although i have never tried it. My current motherboard only supports 2 way SLI.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:46 am 
Clan Member

Choose your mobo wisely. I spent a good amount of time choosing mine and I'm not particularly happy with it. I've had msi, gigabyte, evga, and currently i have an asus mobo and in my opinion evga is the best. If your board supports SLI adding another vidcard is a cost effective way to add some fps as long as your psu has enough power. (the first time i added a video card i ended up needing a psu too)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:15 pm 

My psu is actually 30 watts under recommended for what I have now. :?

You don't like Asus? They are like my favorite company! My motherboard is from them and made me a happy customer of them. I only need a new motherboard because it is last generation and old.

I generally look at what I'm buying 10 times over, and I almost always make the good decision. Just old(er) equipment that could use some upgrading. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:33 pm 
Clan Member

I have the p6x58d, i looked at mobos for days and got suckered in because this one supports usb 3.0, sata 6.0, and 6 core cpus, so i figured i would be able to upgrade and be happy for some time. I didnt figure out that when i had 2 video cards I would have no pci slots and I miss the evga support forums, the asus forums suck. evga support is so much better than asus is isnt even comparable. I will probably get another mobo in a few months.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:47 pm 

I agree, Asus tech support stinks. Luckily I have never had to use it. Although now that I think about it...is there a way to fix a dead pixel? My new Asus monitor developed a single dead pixel in the corner and I don't know if they are fixable etc. It doesn't bother me at all since it is only one and is out of sight, but I would of course like to fix it if possible.

You wanna give us a picture of your desktop?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:49 pm 
Clan Member

yeah just push on it with your finger

if that doesnt work put ur finger on it, turn off the monitor, push down lightly, and turn it on

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next